[lbo-talk] MP3izing music

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed May 26 06:48:20 PDT 2010

yeah. sorta. i think, had I run around and insisted on the utter coolosity of Hootie and been all defensive about it, it would have been a more productive approach. Any time dicks start swinging on music, books, film, whatever is when I learn about a pile of new stuff to read, listen to. etc. Outright asking for such suggestions doesn't seem to work most of the time. We like to argueth on the listeth. Deliberate provocation seems to be the only way to generate an interesting discussion!

Which was, why, tongue-in-cheekily, I wrote what I did: playing off Dwayne's comment recently about how we can't seem to help ourselves and insist on some utter standard of beauty, taste, coolness, whatever - even those of us who reject those concepts end up going euuuuew, you like Hootie?

You're a sociologist, and no doubt you know just as well as I do why we do this. It's about solidarity - sociologically speaking, not the same thing as leftish solidarity.

shag