[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 07:31:21 PDT 2010

[WS:] I had some bad teachers, but I do not think it made much of a difference on me or everyone else in my school. I had some good teachers as well, but I do not think it made much difference either.

The key reason for that, imho, is that in a society where I grew up learning was commonly understood as the responsibility of the student, not that of the teacher. Teachers were mere facilitators of that process. You learned because it was a "good thing" - for your future, social status, career, society7 as a whole and whatever other reason - but you learned independently and often despite the teachers. The attitudes of learning the stuff oneself and use it to challenge the teacher were quite common - I did it myself on a few occasions.

By contrast, this dysfunctional society has a really warped concept of education - students do not learn, but rather the teacher teaches them whether they like it or not - just as a mechanic would fix a car. Part of it is the legacy of the anti-intellectualism that degraded the value of formal education, but another part is what for the lack of better term I can describe as taylorization of every aspect of life in this fucked up country, including education.

The essence of taylorization is taking away the control from direct producers or service providers, and placing it in the hands of professional managers. Since the key role of the manager is management every job, every task, every endeavor is redefiend as something that is "managed" i.e. manipulated by the manager. Those being manipulated are reduced to the role of manipulated object deprived of human agency - all agency is rested in the hand of the managerial class.

As an old 'American joke' goes - Q: How many Americans does it take to replace a light bulb? A: Five. One to do the job, and four managers.

Wojtek