[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed May 26 09:49:22 PDT 2010

Gail writes:

"I have yet to find anyone who could really balance out all the different teaching strengths and weaknesses, including what kinds of students they reach, what strengths they help the students with, how much trouble they cause the administration (hint -- social status of the parents is not excluded from consideration), and so on.  So I find any merit system an exercise in delusion.  However, my experiences with bad doctors and dentists leave me believing that there is a level of incompetence and professional neglect that colleagues have a responsibility to address."

It is hard to define good teaching, especially because there are different styles of teaching and teachers can be good in different ways.

But some things come to mind: the teacher

-- knows her subject well

-- understands how to convey difficult concepts

-- instills a life-long appreciation or love for the subject

-- creates a space in which the student can learn and develop

Probably many other things too.

One other thing. Sometimes it takes years before the effects of good teaching manifest themselves. So, a little survey at the end of class is not enough.

Joanna