[lbo-talk] More 'school reform' nonsense

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed May 26 12:05:56 PDT 2010

At 11:47 AM 5/26/2010, dredmond at efn.org wrote:

>For US residents on this list who don't have kids in school, or
>haven't interacted with the public schools lately -- visit one in your
>neighborhood. You will be shocked and appalled at how a society which
>pisses away trillions on failed colonial wars and failed bankster
>swindlers can be so unbelievably mean-spirited to its children.

It's not *all* bad. We've discussed here before how the "generation gap" has diminished to almost nothing. And if Lou Reed was in school now he probably wouldn't want to play football for the coach. Nor would he be given electroschock treatment to get the gay out of him. He might even be prom queen:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/28/local/me-prom-queen28

[Fairfax High prom queen Sergio Garcia in his 2009 candidacy announcement speech]

"At one time, prom may have been a big popularity contest where the best-looking guy or girl were crowned king and queen. Things have changed and it's no longer just about who has the most friends or who wears the coolest clothes," Garcia told the crowd of seniors. "Sure, I'm not your typical prom queen candidate. There's more to me than meets the eye."

The audience erupted in applause after his speech, and a group of his female friends spent the rest of the week wearing pink crowns and campaigning for him.

On Saturday night at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, wearing a charcoal-gray tuxedo and a black bow tie, he was named prom queen.

"I felt invincible," Garcia said.

He's among the first male students in Southern California to take the title usually owned by female high school beauties.