[lbo-talk] More 'school reform' nonsense

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed May 26 13:49:14 PDT 2010

Though, of course, I can't speak to the situation in NYC, my first sense is that it may not be a particularly representative locale... not if the fiscal crises and legislative responses in MI, NJ, and CA are any indication. There are still good schools (measured by how well students perform on standardized tests?) in all those places, yet as they get more and more cash strapped more and more of the elements universally assumed to be part of public education in the 1970s (at least in MI, NJ and CA) are lost - music programs, school libraries, art classes, field trips, and free-to-participate extracurriculars (much less all sorts of facilities and grounds maintenance), among many others.