[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed May 26 17:24:17 PDT 2010

At 08:04 PM 5/26/2010, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>I think a big part of that is because these so-called "standards" aren't
>as clearly superior to other ways of doing things as they are popularity
>contests. If there was the equivalent of Strunk & White for code, it
>would be different; but no such thing exists. Most of these "standards"
>are just whatever someone happened to write up in book form.

well, not really. i'm using a very generic notion of standards: the separation of presentation, structure and behavior. if i build a page with tables, in order to change the design, i have to go change the mark up everywhere that table is. if i use standards, where you use tables only for displaying data, and not for layout, then i can change the entire appearance of a web site merely by changing one file, the .css stylesheet. in other words, the structure can stay the same, but the appearance can change simply by changing the stylesheet. a demo of this is at CSs zen garden. every single design uses the exact same markup. the wide variety of designs is changed only in the stylesheet.

if i want to make the phrase "* = required" bold and red everywhere i use it, on oh, say, 20 forms on a site, if i write this:

but if i put that style in a stylesheet, I can change totally leave the markup alone (the structure) and change only the style in the style sheet (which is what web standards meaning: separating structure (XHTML) from behavior (javascript/scripting) from presentation (stylesheets)

so the markup, structure, stays the same in 20 diff places: <span class="highlight">* = required</span>

what changes is one line in the stylesheet:

.highlight{font-weight:bold;color:#f00;}

would change to this:

.highlight{font-weight:bold;color:#f0f;}

it's a lot easier to change #f00 to #f0f on one line, than to do that 20 different times on 20 different pages.

But you wouldn't know the difference between inline styles and web standards approaches as the end user. my boss has no idea what we're talking about. but it is a whole fuckload easier to maintain my work if I used standards, even if it's sometimes more of a pain in the ass with more work and planning frontloaded into the process.