[lbo-talk] Blog activity

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Fri May 28 08:57:35 PDT 2010

Michael Pollak wrote:

> [Quoting me] No, I'm not! We are also bequeathing
> them our wealth! (If we don't destroy it or
> let it decay with Hooverian economic
> policies.)

> [Michael] Very true. You could also add:
> we're bequeathing them our productivity.

It's the economist in me, Michael. :-) Wealth *is* productive power.

Because our main wealth is us. Or, as Marx put it in Grundrisse, our real wealth is the "developed productive power of all individuals," and -- quoting approvingly an anonymous pamphlet -- our true wealth is a short workday, our free or disposable time.

The quote on wealth I like most is from the German Ideology though: Our real wealth lies in the wealth of our mutual interconnections. That puts a very nice spin on these lists, our get togethers, Facebook, Twitter, etc.