[lbo-talk] Chomsky regards himself as a supporter of Israel

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 16:04:56 PDT 2010

Joseph Catron wrote:

> And why on
> earth would any of us advocate that we reward ethnic cleansing with our
> support for an ethnically-pure state?

First of all, you're living in, and I'm guessing a citizen of, one of the very many countries in the world forged through ethnic cleansing. Second, Israel's "ethnic purity" is somewhat dampened by the Arabs that make up 15% of its citizens. Third, this sentiment echoes the hysterical cruise-missile liberals from the days of the Balkan wars, who would bravely fight against ethnic exclusionism down to the last ex-Yugoslav.

I can understand feeling a sense of duty as an American to oppose Israel's wonton illegality, which goes on under US protection. But I don't get the idea of taking a stand against the worldwide phenomenon of ethnically-motivated borders in the one place, of all places, where a nasty century-long conflict might be ended through partition.

SA