[lbo-talk] Bushonomics: War creates growth

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat May 29 22:48:22 PDT 2010

Well, this makes it all simple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI446mXonu0m

It's a 90 second excerpt of an interview with Nestor Kirchner in January 2004, near the end of Bush's first term. He's describing what Bush said to him. It's from Oliver Stone's new documentary, "South of the Border," which is coming out in June.

Here's a transcript h/t to Juan Cole:

http://www.juancole.com/2010/05/kirchner-bush-angrily-said-war-would-grow-us-economy.html

Kirchner: I said that a solution to the problems right now, I told

Bush, is a Marshall Plan. And he grew angry. He said the Marshall

Plan is a crazy idea of the Democrats. He said the best way to

revitalize the economy is war. And that the United States has grown

stronger with war.

Stone: War, he said that?

Kirchner: He said that. Those were his exact words.

Stone: Is he suggesting that South America go to war?

Kirchner: Well, he was talking about the United States. The

Democrats had been wrong. All of the economic growth of the United

States has been encouraged by wars. He said it very clearly. `

<end excerpt>

Michael