[lbo-talk] Black Panther Coloring Book

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 06:01:19 PDT 2010

Gar Lipow

One supporting detail I can give about the Black Panther's broadness of outreach. Contrary to the usual story, "The Grey Panthers" did not simply get its name because that is what the media nicknamed it. According to Maggie Kuhn's autobiography, the Grey Panthers was formed in conscious imitation of the Black Panthers, She contacted them early on in the formation of her group and often acted on advice from them. Of course Kuhn was a fascinating character, and a long time left activist. I never thought of the YWCA as a center of left wing organizing, but Kuhn did tons of productive radical organizing from her position with that group through much of her lifetime. Damn, I wonder if I can dig up my copy.

^^^^^ CB: We still have a Gray Panthers' chapter in Detroit. The legendary Ethel Schwartz is one of the leaders. I got a t-shirt.

Incidently , yesterday I ran into John Sinclair in Eastern Market. He is one of the main founders of the White Panthers.