[lbo-talk] Stewart: we're here to sell beer

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:29:14 PDT 2010

Frankly, I find this reassuring. There are limits to what Stewart and Colbert do. But I think what they do is valuable, and if they adopt positions parallel to someone like Beck (a comparison I've seen more than once), all of that will go down the tubes. I'd rather have them doing what they do now and let other people do the other stuff.

the line about beer is a joke, quite obviously. More importantly, it performs the backing away from political movement leadership precisely by being a joke.

I suppose if they could find ways of being political that don't amount to running for office, especially as democrats, and most especially that don't amount to their having gotten too big for their britches, I would like to see that, Maybe I just like the political imagination (w/nod to Irving Kristol) to know what that would look like, but that's just another reason I suppose I should leave it to other people. If S&C don't think they can pull it off, maybe it is better to trust their judgment(s) on such a thing. Otherwise they end up like Olbermann, or worse. and that would be really depressing.