[lbo-talk] Blum on Stewart

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Nov 2 16:30:19 PDT 2010

> from Blum's anti-empire report:
>
> http://killinghope.org/bblum6/aer87.html
>
> [...]
>
> Stewart also grouped together "Marxists actively subverting our
> constitution, racists and homophobes". Welcome to the Jon Stewart Tea
> Party.

I think this reflects a sloppy misunderstanding of what Stewart said, and it twists it around backwards in order to slam him. What Jon actually said was:

--- "If the picture of us were true, of course, our inability to solve problems would actually be quite sane and reasonable. Why would you work with 'Marxists actively subverting our Constitution' or 'racists and homophobes who see no one's humanity but their own' ...?" ---

He's giving two examples -- one from the right, one from the left -- of an extreme position that is esposed (even perhaps created!) by the media. This is CNN's version of what "we" look like. Stewart says that if we really looked like that, not working together would "make sense" -- alas, he doesn't believe it's true.

Blum also is disingenuous with this:

> He billed his rally as being "for people who are politically
> dissatisfied but who are not ideological". (Democracy Now, November 1,
> 2010) Really, Jon? You have no ideology?

This kind of nit-picking is boring.

Stewart's use of the word "ideological" is similar to calling someone "smelly" -- everyone *has an odor* but some have really perfected it to the point where it defines their presence in a small stuffy room.

Bleah,

/jordan