[lbo-talk] Another first for UC Berkeley: first public schoolto charge more than $50k/year!

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Nov 2 17:13:05 PDT 2010

But beyond the fact that tuition was very low, there was the other fact that you could work a half-time minumum wage job and be able to afford rent, food, cigs, and transportation. I managed to put myself through a B.A., M.A., Ph. D. without a penny of debt.

This is absolutely not the case any more.

Jobs are hard to find, and minimum wage in CA is now $8/hour. A half-time min wage job today will get you $720/month before taxes. This will not pay for food, rent, transportation, and misc. in the Bay area.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>

I paid $230 for my first semester (1983) and $750 for my last (1987).