[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 06:57:22 PDT 2010

Yeah, kinda, that's all part of it. But again, either they don't have the courage of their own convictions - a willingness to call their BS-slinging opponents on the carpet - or, they are un/consciously committed to effectively the same positions as their opponents with only minor variants - if sometimes quite meaningful ones, in a day-to-day kind of way (but not a historic or ecological one) and are therefore constitutionally unlikely to fight back. I think its some of both, though I think most Dems are neither aware of their root commitments nor capable of any kinds of sophisticated analysis of the contradictions and un/intended structural consequences of their policies and fears.