[lbo-talk] Sane and really dumb

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Wed Nov 3 09:48:49 PDT 2010

Wait a minute: people who either don't know what Keynesianism is, or who misread the word as "Kenyan," on a sign intended to encourage that misreading, are "morons"?

If Wojtek is right that "99% of the population in this country would give similar answers" and "have zero understanding of macroeconomics," maybe it's not because they are "*incapable *of viewing economy from any but a small business perspective" (emphasis added), but because people on the left have such contempt ("morons"; "incapable") for them that they couldn't possibly regard them as worth organizing (which is what it would take to spread a left understanding of economics beyond 1%).

(So: I agree with Matt's comment. I also found the video funny, but my first reaction was not that these people are morons, but that this is an organizing opportunity to talk to people about Keynes and left critiques of Keynes.)

Message: 4 Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:11:38 -0400 From: Matt <lbo4 at beyondzero.net> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Sane and really dumb To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <4CD17BAA.1070505 at beyondzero.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On 11/3/2010 10:39 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> But the fact of the matter is that 99% of the population in this country
> would give similar answers. They have zero understanding of
macroeconomics
> - they are incapable of viewing economy from any but a small business
> perspective - and if they heard the word "keynesian" they do not really
know
> what it means.

Well of course. It is possible to graduate college and never have learned about Keynes and macro. It is kinda funny that people think this video - even if heavily edited a'la James O'Keefe - shows that the Sanity folks are haha so stupid.

I guess Jordan should give up trying to explain since people continue to be shocked/smug/angry/jealous that the live-comedy-and-bad-pop-music- event wasn't a Very Serious Leftist Academic Conference in disguise.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, Dollars & Sense 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org