[lbo-talk] Stewart: we're here to sell beer

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 12:11:47 PDT 2010

On Nov 3, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I refer yuou to the thread recently mentioned, the debate between Miles &
> Julio a couple years ago. Miles was _wholly_ correct. "Persuasionss" plays
> NO ROLE in social change (though it is still necessary for other reasons.

Who are you trying to persuade, Prof. Cox?

Seriously, as much as I agree with the overall gist of this insistence, and as much as I admire Carrol's perspective on pretty much everything he chooses to engage with - and his comments on the Iliad and PL from a few years ago remain among the most illuminating things I've ever read - this seems to run counter to Marx's own observation that at a certain point - call it a critical mass - even an idea becomes a material force.

But possibly the resolution lies in what's hinted at in the parenthetical. So I'll ask for elaboration: What in your view are those other reasons?