[lbo-talk] Sane and really dumb

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Wed Nov 3 12:20:18 PDT 2010

Wotjek: I think D&S tries *contribute* to organizing, but publications like D&S are at best a tool for organizing--so I agree with your point that changing people's views on this is much bigger project for the left, but one that I think many on the left don't want to bother even contributing to. (I think you meant to say "I do *not* think its circulation goes much further than rather narrow circles on the left," which is probably true, though every year our classroom books reach tens of thousands of undergrads and high school students of all political stripes, and probably thousands union members and community groups, and hundreds of thousands via the website.)

Doug: "The moronocity is in their taking aggressive offense to the suggestion rather than asking, 'Uh, what's a Keynesian?'" So you don't agree with me that many of those people just misread the sign as saying "Obama = Kenyan?"? Or with the suggestion a couple of other people on the list have made that the producers of the video likely edited out anyone (most people, for all we know) who *did* say "Uh, what's a Keynesian?"?

SA: You make a good point, if in fact these folks are "basking in its irony-drenched sophistication". I guess that's why the video was funny. But if the point is that it is just as easy to make these folks look bad as it is to make the Tea-baggers look bad, the conclusion shouldn't be that any of them are morons. And it remains hard--but important--to actually organize them.

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, Dollars & Sense 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org