[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Chuck Munson chuck0munson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:17:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:55 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But more importantly, on the second goal - "pushing a conservative idea" -
> they've already succeeded. Maybe I'm crazy, but when I look around, I feel
> that, yes, the country has indeed gotten much more conservative in the past
> 1.5 years, and the TP clearly has a lot to do with it. Is anyone denying
> this?

I'll disagree with this. I don't buy it. The country hasn't gotten more conservative. What happened yesterday is that independent voters punished the Democrats for being a bunch of cowards and corporate shills when it comes to economic policy and health care. There was a Rasmussen poll that was released this morning that found a large majority of Americans think the Republicans won't do anything over the next two years.

It was a protest vote.

I live out here in Tea Party country. I'm finding that I can actually have conversations now with Republicans about social justice and the economy, They are fed up with the parties and the political system. But you got to stay away from social issues like religion and abortion, People don't change their views on those topics.

In order for the country to have gotten more conservative, you'd see more people flocking to right wing media, organizations, and so on. Is this happening at all? The tea party movement to me looks like a classic case of people preaching to the choir.

Chuck