[lbo-talk] the Charlie Brown presidency

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Nov 3 14:26:59 PDT 2010

On Nov 3, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> On 11/3/2010 10:37 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> POLITICO Breaking News:
>>
>> President Barack Obama told a news conference that Tuesday's
>> elections confirmed what he heard during the fall's campaign – that
>> "people are frustrated" - and he called for "an honest and civil
>> debate" with Republicans to solve the nation’s economic problems.
>
> Just in terms of political strategy, I don't get Obama's position
> here. The Repubs have publicly stated that their primary political
> goal is making Obama a one-term president. When O responds like
> this, it just makes him look naive and weak.

In 1946 the Truman administration suffered an even greater defeat, decisively losing both Houses. Truman's reaction? On election night he refused to be distracted from his poker game by any information about election results. The next day he said "I'll do what I want to do, and they can go to hell." HST was a real bastard (if there were anything real about Obama he would also be one) but he was also one hell of a politician.

Shane Mage

The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

Joe Stack (1956-2010)