[lbo-talk] Why Capitalism Cannot be Tamed

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 21:20:41 PDT 2010

Shane, that would only be true if the timber industries hadn't fought for everything they were worth to eliminate the Forest Service during its first decade. The only thing that saved the Forest Service was a fire that burned 1/4 of the northwestern United States. This, however, meant that the Forest Service came to have as its primary mission fire suppression which, as everyone now knows has had really really bad ecological and social consequences. I would, in fact, be surprised if the majority of the history of the Swedish forest service equivalent hadn't been deeply in the pocket of clear-cutting timber and paper companies. (I can assure you, from papers a good friend has written on Scandanavian paper industries, that their focus on closed system, less-polluting, more efficient paper production came not from the Greens but from the exhaustion of timber stands and the cost of labor.)

If there has been a change in Sweden, and there has been a parallel change here in the US, too (though, admittedly to a lesser extent), that change has come more from the effective destruction of affordably-extractable forest stands - combined with the Parliamentary success (however moderate) of the Green Party. On top of all this, I think its real important to see the very different roles the Forest Service playes in New Hampshire, Vermont and the Adirondacks than it does in Maine, Idaho, Utah and Colorado. In the former, smaller, tourist states, the Forest Service has long been about preservationism, limiting clear cuts to largely invisible, small tracts. In the west, by contrast, a more multiple-use conservationism (talk about an oxymoron) has operated. The former is indirectly captured by tourist and outdoors industries, the latter by resource extraction industies but, for both - and the green-y or small-holder publics in each region - the bureaucracy works the same.

If I were to try to make what I think Wojtek's argument for him on this front, I would argue that Northern and Western European countries - who, in the main, have rather deep cultural commitments to maintaining a certain kind of national identity rooted in various kinds rurality - have managed their forests, rural development and agriculture differently than in the US and that this is reflected in a different bureaucratic culture than that found in the US. To this, returning to my argument, I'd respond that I was never (and he had never before) been talking about national cultures, here in the form of timber policy: we'd been talking about bureaucratic managerial culture, in this instance scientific management by professionally trained, salaried employees who invariably approach the world as if they know better than the hoi polloi what needs to be done and what needs to be done is to follow the rules, regulations and policies of the bureaucracy.

And, hell, you want to see resistance to a classical faceless bureaucracy, look across Europe for resistance to EU policy and management... its not just nationalism and xenophobia, a lot of it is that the EU is just ANOTHER layer of bureaucracy on top of already labyrinthan social democratic ones.