[lbo-talk] Alex nails it

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Nov 3 21:23:58 PDT 2010

> http://www.counterpunch.org/gridlock.html

George Will said that the other day too:

---

AMANPOUR: George, Senator Cornyn pretty much told us that they didn't expect to win the Senate. Made some news here.

WILL: Doesn't matter, though, because if Mitch McConnell has 48 senators, he will always have 41 senators for whatever he wants to have 41 for.

Let me just say this. The Republican Party is being told to be the party of no. No more stimulus spending. No cap-and-trade. No card check. None of this other stuff. Gridlock is not an American problem. It's an American achievement. The framers of our Constitution didn't want an efficient government; they wanted a safe government. To which end they filled it with slowing and blocking mechanisms. Three branches of government, two branches of the legislative branch, veto, veto override, supermajority, judicial review....What I'm saying...is that when we have gridlock, the system is working.