[lbo-talk] Working Class & the '60s was Black Panther

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 05:35:36 PDT 2010

I want to say we're 95% in agreement but I still think your approach is too objectivist for me. My feeling is that most college students, most lower-to-middle-management, most students and the kind of retirees you've described have been bamboozled or manipulated by coopting institutions and programs into seeing themselves as other than the working class. To understand these distinctions, it seems to me, is surely necessary in any particular struggle but also generates a mode of discourse and interaction that defines away potential allies.

Furthermore, it sets a seemingly essentialist standard - with what you appear to see as small realms of blurred boundaries - that translates badly across movements, treating different movements as essentially different - workers movements are really only for people who are objectively workers and their "supporters" who aren't workers (including the unemployed?), feminist movements are really only for people who are objectively female and their "supporters" who aren't women, race movements are really only for people who are objectively in particular historically oppressed racial groups - and their non-racial "supporters", queer and environmental and .... movements are really only for queers and environmentalists and ... and, most importantly, all are discrete from the others. Such divisions reinforce the ideas promoted by power elites that there's natural scarcity or resources and programs and movements and special interest groups - as they put it - are competing in a zero sum world for inherently constrained access to power and success.

I think this approach misreads the synthetic character of historical movements - what I don't love about revisionist left histories, and it strikes me as just plain bad politics given the synthetic nature of contemporary social problems - which is a huge part of what drew me to O'Connors theorization of shared interests between labor, environmental, feminist and cosmopolitan movements (even though EVERYONE reads out the latter two).