[lbo-talk] the DLC's analysis

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 06:05:20 PDT 2010

Jordan: "It really makes no sense."

[WS:] It makes perfect sense. What else were they supposed to say? It is a canned response that every organization uses if things go south for it. Would you expect a corporate exec losing market share to say anything else than standard line of improving efficiency and paying more attention to consumer demands? It does not matter a bit what those guys say, because the only purpose of speech in such situation is pulling wools over they eyes,, not to to provide information.

Back in the Soviet era, when it became painfully clear that the Soviet system not only failed to deliver what it promised by was also falling behind "the West," one could detect an unmistakable shift in the media reporting. They were reporting fewer and fewer facts, and shifted their attention to reporting what some people of some status said. Who said what dominated the front page of the major news outlets, while sports, human interest and entertainment - the back pages.

A similar trend can be observed in the US - not just in the media but on the web as well. People are are more and more focused on who said what - the twitter idiocy leading the way - whereas fact finding takes a back seat or is being kicked out of the bus altogether.

It seems that navel gazing and chatter are last refuges of decaying empires.

Wojtek