[lbo-talk] Open letters from Stefano Kourkoulakos and Leo Panitch

D. T. Cochrane dtc at yorku.ca
Fri Nov 5 06:27:40 PDT 2010

Hi Mike, Thanks for your response.

You are correct that both the Monthly Review school and Veblenian institutionalism provide major ingredients for the 'capital as power' (CasP) approach that Nitzan and Bichler (N&B) are creating. I would add Marx, Kalecki, Mumford and Castoriadis as additional major contributions. However, I CasP cannot be reduced to any; it has significant emergent properties.

Additionally, you are correct that N&B are returning to some pretty fundamental debates. That is one of their major starting points. They fully recognize that there are many self-identified Marxists who have abandoned the labour theory of value (LToV). However, they contend this cannot be done so easily if you wish to retain central Marxian concepts. They argue that we need a theory of value if we are going to describe, explain and theorize political economic events. The theory begins with three rejections that are not entirely shared with either the Monthly Review school or institutionalists:

1. rejection of dual-quantity theories of value 2. rejection of the duality between 'real' and 'nominal' spheres 3. rejection of the duality between 'economy' and 'politics'

The first says that observable financial quantities cannot be explained by some other unobservable quantities, abstract labour-time in the case of the LToV. The second says that we have no basis to proclaim some separation between a real sphere of production and a nominal sphere of financial representation. In part, this is because we have no way of quantify a supposedly 'real sphere.' This creates problems for explanations of the recent crisis on the basis of a so-called 'bubble.' Prices were supposedly inflated; against what? What ought prices to have been? How can we tell? The last says that accumulation - which they argue is judged solely in financial terms and must be judged *differentially* - cannot be explained by any one set of institutions that can be described as the 'economy,' but instead depend on a vast, diverse array of social relations that transcend any analytical division between 'economy' and 'politics.' That is why they cannot be dismissed as merely more thinkers talking about "cost-plus pricing, with a differential profit margin depending on market power." The power of capitalists is far more diverse and complex than that. On the basis of these three rejections, N&B advocate a quantity-quality methodology that examines changing financial values against a broad narrative of changing qualitative realities.

Of course, many other theorists have said some of these things, in pieces. In particular, the narrative form of describing qualitative aspects of capitalist power that transcend 'economy' is popular. But, I know of none that have put them together in this manner, especially with a renewed focus on quantitative analysis. It is for this reason that CasP represents a major departure from existing value theories and offers powerful new analytical tools.

D.T. Cochrane