[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 06:39:15 PDT 2010

Dennis Claxton

>CB: I dont believe that you really hold a theory or model of the US
>system and Presidency that includes the notion from Teddy Roosevelt
>(!) that the Presidency is a bully pulpit with some automatic power to
>influence by just speaking like a preacher and in some sense
>"bullying" people into doing things Maybe Teddy Roosevelt could do it
>back in 1906 or whatever, but...

That ain't what it means:

http://www.c-span.org/guide/congress/glossary/bullypul.htm

This term stems from President Theodore Roosevelt's reference to the White House as a "bully pulpit," meaning a terrific platform from which to persuasively advocate an agenda. Roosevelt often used the word "bully" as an adjective meaning superb/wonderful. Roosevelt also had political affiliation with the Progressive Party, nicknamed the "Bull Moose" party. It got the moniker when Roosevelt ran for President as its candidate in 1912, after declaring himself as "fit as a bull moose."

^^^^^ CB: Thank you for this reference, Dennis. I don't think that Obama acting like a bullmoose would be very effective in persuading people.. Doesn't Sara Palin go out and shoot mooses or something ? If so, the timing of the symbolism in this concrete period would be poor. Teddy Roosevelt use to do wild game hunting, safari's in Africa and stuff. So , Sara and Teddy had that in common, maybe. He also started the Museum of Natural History in NYC.

Maybe using the White House as a "terrific platform" or "superb/wonderful pulpit" might work. But making it terrific and superb and wonderful is easier said than done.