[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 08:06:05 PDT 2010

CB, I'm with Dennis and the others on this one. Acknowledging that he's an upwardly mobile biracial striver with strong neoliberal tendencies, Obama had a fairly well organized multiracial population of kinda grassy netroots people - from traditional democrats to independent swing voters who expected him to publicly lead, publicly promote and publicly defend the kinds of reforms he explicitly said he was going to seek in terms of national defense, government opacity, economic policy, immigration policy, environmental policy, education policy and health policy. As Jon Stewart pointed out in the Daily Show interview, Obama's appointments signalled that greater continuity than change was likely to be the order of the day and then - mostly clearly in terms of the health care debate - Obama went for opaque and labyrinthan bipartisan back room deals without simultaneously publicly advocating for anything specific (at least not until six-to-eight months had been frittered away and his opponents had been firing scatterhsot invective and building momentum the whole time. I guess, on his own terms, he's done somewhat better on the stimulus - though, here, his advisors were far to the right of the constituency that elected him. On transparency, he claims that the public of who comes to the White House is a game changer while simultaneously using state's secrets arguments and all sorts of appeals to national security interests to utterly cloak any number of policies and programs far to the right of the constituency that elected him. On environmental policy, the EPA's a little bit, but not very much, better than the Bush Admnin and Obama only made any noise about climate change in the few days running up to the fiasco that was the UN Summit... and that noise was all kinds of cap-and-trady, the worst plan imaginable. I shouldn't even right about the advocacy/mandates associated with race to the top... On immigration, how much support from the 95% (or so) of Hispanics who voted for him do you think he's wasted by being John McCain-lite in immigration... yeah, they are suing AZ, pretty weak tea.

It should be clear that Obama is a DNC loyalist through and through and that the DNC holds no truck with the idea that there remain serious civil rights, feminist, envirionmental, educational, and cultural problems that cannot be solved by neoliberal marketization and the discipline of competing for scarce resources much less with the idea that the Democratic Party would be much stronger if they gave up on bipartisanship and fought back. The DNC and most Dems are afraid of sustaining challenges to Republican orthodoxy, much less crazies. The Dems don't need to move to the left hardly at all to win, big, regularly, they simply need to be willing to sustain a political fight... but they've given up, in significant part because the DNC (and by extension, Obama) rejects the party's 1965-1985 roots in union, liberal civil rights, liberal feminist, liberal environmentalist and liberal education/community re/development movements but moreso because they've become Republicans lite. I don't believe the policies they could generate were they to represent the people who voted for them would make a sea change in conditions on the ground in the US, expecting that would be ridiculous, but they'd make the kind of small differences very very important to the American public, differences which would significantly improve many peoples' quality of life, even if only in the short run.

I am in complete agreement with the folks on the list who argue that Obama's problems are not grounded in the racism of whites, the racism of whites is a part of the problem because Obama and the Dems have, on the one hand, alienated their historic constituencies and, on the other hand, refused to fairly, strongly and sustainably challenge Repugs and Tea Partiers... they've chosen a largely passive and back room bipartisanship that fails to inspire those who voted for Dems in 2008, while not even publicly advocating for or broadly defending the bipartisan legislation they've passed. The proof, the election on Tuesday.