[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:47:33 PDT 2010

Is your argument, Carrol, that lots of racists didn't vote in 2008 but did in 2010? Or is it that many racists voted for Obama in the context of 2008 and now hate themselves for doing so and hate him all the more as a result? Or is it that a number of the folks among the not-as-racist 48% of the white voters who supported Obama in 2008 became racist? The man won every county in Michigan with anything resembling a major population center in 2008... Republicans took everything this year, is this because of racism against Obama? Are you saying that anti-Republicanism in 2008 trumped racist feelings about Obama?

Obama is a president who has not fought to defend the expectations - even the reasonable ones - of the majority of Democrats and the independent constituencies who elected him. He's also a president who hasn't generated an Administration or produced a party apparatus that calls racists on the carpet. Doing so would initially enrage people and be very controversial but, done properly, it wins. In order to be elected he had to be a calm, cool and collected man who happened to be black. In order to govern, he needed to generate a calm, cool and collected administration that brooked no racial crap or straight-up policy lies. His position WAS tenuous, but he and his administration made it moreso thereby generating weaker legislation, undefended legislation and rampant mutually reinforcing racist/classist/liberarian sentiment funded by wealthy individuals and groups to the point that isolated fury could organize.