[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Fri Nov 5 14:58:48 PDT 2010

But Carol, the social movement aspect of the Tea Parties has facilitated the ability of the elite Tea Party funders and their allies to move the Republican Party even further to the Right.

And even accounting for the dips due to midterm election and bad economy, many polsters are saying the out-of-office Republicans did better than usual--that is their gains are larger than would be expected taking into consideration the midterm election and bad economy.

I agree there are several things happening here at the same time: election, political shifts, elite funders and their allies, the Tea Party as a social movement with a mass base--but they are not totally unrelated. Has dialectics been retired?

-Chip