[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 13:01:36 PDT 2010

Shane, I do not really see how your post relates to what I've argued. My point was that labels "liberal" or "conservative" do not matter to a big chunk of the electorate.

As to Joanna's point - I am not denying what you saw, but how representative was your observation? A few hundred activists do not make much of a difference unless they represent a broader trend - but there does not seem to be much evidence of a broader trend.

Alan: I did not argue that all voters were subject to "magic rationality" but a big chunk - enough to sway the election one way or the other. There are considerable number of people who would vote democrat or republican no matter what, but there is also a considerable number that will sway, depending which way the wind is blowing. My argument pertains to the second group. As I said, these people tend to respond by "punishing" the party in power if things do not go well. This I think explains electoral victory of Obama, as well as the outcome of 2010 elections outside the democratic strongholds. As far as I can tell, the non-voting population is a mirror image of the voting population (the old Clower & Piven claim notwithstanding.) On average, mobilizing non-voters will not sway the elections beyond a few local changes one way or the other. The liberal/progressive "silent majority" is a myth which left wing intellectuals believe without being able to prove it.

Wojtek