[lbo-talk] Query

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 14:52:20 PDT 2010

Carrol,

The speech was given by Senator George Frisbie Hoar, Republican from Massachusetts. You can read it in full here:

<http://www.bartleby.com/268/10/25.html>

Here's a quote:

"You have sacrificed nearly ten thousand American lives—the flower of our youth. You have devastated provinces. You have slain uncounted thousands of the people you desire to benefit. You have established reconcentration camps. Your generals are coming home from their harvest bringing sheaves with them, in the shape of other thousands of sick and wounded and insane to drag out miserable lives, wrecked in body and mind. You make the American flag in the eyes of a numerous people the emblem of sacrilege in Christian churches, and of the burning of human dwellings, and of the horror of the water torture."

I believe the water torture of which he speaks is none other than the water boarding that the U.S. reintroduced in the last decade.