[lbo-talk] Neoliberal Europe vs. Keynesian USA

autonomia at lavabit.com autonomia at lavabit.com
Sun Nov 7 09:27:44 PST 2010

>> What I'd like to learn from you, since I don't read German, is why
Germany's
>> unique political/economic culture is so exceptionally hardline about
inflation and rigor. The cliche is that it's bad memories of Weimar but that
>> sounds a little too pat to me.
>> SA
The rise of the german sado-monetarist began when after the breakdown of the Bretton-Woods system and the economic crisis of the early to mid 70s the german central bank switched to monetarist policies (it was worldwide the first central bank to do so). During the 70s the central bank's monetarism often clashed with the keynesianism of the then ruling social-liberal coalition government. Keynesianism was finally defeated and monetarist and neoliberal principles, outlined in the infamous Lambsdorff paper ( the german liberal party's position paper that marked its shift from american-style socialliberlism to neoliberalism, co-written by the equally infamous Hans Tietmayer who in the 90s got blasted by Pierre Bourdieu), became hegemonic when the conservative-liberal coalition won the election in 1982. The 16 year(!) long rule of this conservative-liberal coalition firmly institutionalized neoliberal and monetaristic principles in germany. The next and nominally the most progressive government coalition in german history (greens + socialdemocrats), after some inner factional struggles, deepened further the institutionalization of monetarism and neoliberalism with its Agenda 2010 strategy. The rise of the Left party and the financial crisis has helped to widen the space/ acceptance for dissenting economic views in germany but neoliberal and monetarist views are still hegemonic in germany. And by the way, there are some outspoken and prominent german Keynesian economists like Heiner Flassbeck and Rudolf Hickel.