[lbo-talk] Sacrificial rationality

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 07:02:19 PST 2010

The thing is, Marv, Wojtek wants to be able to use Malinowski's formulation of myth/ritual rationality in a transhistorically idealist fashion - asserting that a mode of rationality explicitly formulated to understand complex, integrated and coherent pre-modern cultures can non-problematically apply to modern advance industrial voting psychology - while simultaneously comparing it, in situated and material fashion, to other advanced industrial societies where he asserts it doesn't exist (or at least in no where near as strong a fashion) AND leave out that the rationality he finds in the essence of American culture existed in about the same proportion in Europe and the US from 1950 to 1975. This is a weird extension of his argument that modern bureaucratic cultures are more (or at least as) qualitatively different than cultures from different modes of production.

This is also what he did with the purportedly widespread (if not essentialist cowboy) penchant for Americans to fetishize guns and violence that he saw as a means of explaining the Black Panthers' almost exclusive and highly strategic symbolic bearing of arms. Wojtek likes to wield idealist pop psychological explanations and then defend them with slective and partial comparative historical juxtapostions rather than start with the material of history necessary to situate rationalities, interpret possible and diverse motivations and explore change.

Furthermore, it has to be rooted in forgetting the Obama won while explicitly eschewing fearmongering AND that fearmongering (against immigrants) has worked very nicely in the context of the re-rise of nationalisms around the world and the new right in Europe, no? It really is staggering how a left sociologist who, on the one hand challenges any interpretation he disagrees with to provide empirical justification can, on the other hand, so regularly use essentialist terms, ahistorical appeals and variously pop psychological and utterly out of date anthropological archetypes in his posts to paint the citizenry of the US as mendacious and irresponsible. Mendacious and irresponsible they/we may be, its just idealism holds no analytic water when it comes to explaining why.