[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 07:30:13 PST 2010

Yup, when you disagree with someone about the Obama administration you want facts (not opinions or interpretations) when you express your interpretations or opinions you use universalizing essentialist and idealist categories - including the use of words like quintessential - to tar the American electorate and any number of left social movements.

Furthermore, you refuse to acknowledge that - in fact - a large number of facts about public opinion in 2008 and early 2009 have been presented to you, facts which you reject as suggesting that alternative realistic policy options were available to the Obama administration.

And then, you refuse to acknowledge that facts presented to you about who Obama appointed as his advisors and what their factual histories tell us about the kinds of programs they'd reasonably be expected to advance - Rahm Emmanuel was surely going to side with the DLC and Blue Dogs over Progressives, Larry Summers was surely going to side with Wall Street over the public and there was no one appointed to develop, promote and defend a partisan health care bill like the one American's supported in remarkable numbers.

We are not saying they are evil, though the fact is that it doesn't seem to matter to you that the fact of the matter is that the facts are that we often repeat that we are not saying this, we are saying that Obama's proclivities are neoliberal, and not even progressive within a neoliberal context since a large portion of the Democratic Party's constituency and a good number of members of congress are to the liberal left of him - no one thought they were lefties - and that any calculations the Obama Admin made about having to be bipartisan and on the conservative side of the reasonable range of neoliberal reform was a miscalculation that came back and bit them on the ass in this election. You keep lumping us in with idiots and our arguments show that we're not. Pay attention. Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean we're engaging in "gutter populist attributions of stupidity, treachery or ill intentions", that we're unaware of how government works (duh, appropriations and courts matter - shocking insight, I'd never thought of that in the thirty years I've watched decent EPA, Civil Rights or other regs be unable to be enforced because Congress wouldn't appropriate the funds... I guess you are so much more realistic than me), nor that we're claiming Obama is an alien (where the hell did that come from relative to us, jeez!?).

Finally, the idea that this stuff is 20/20 hindsight is predicated on a careful refusal on your part to pay attention to the fact that many of us - and many people to the liberal right of us who write and comment for HuffPo, MoveOn, the NYT (even Krugman, Kristoff, Rich, Dowd, etc.) have been saying exactly this same stuff since January 2009. Start taking your own advice and try and pay some attention to the facts associated with this list rather than your fantasies about who we are, what we think, and the kinds of parallels it's materially legitimate to draw relative to our positions.