[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:01:50 PST 2010

Alan Rudy Your argument can't explain California or Massachusetts or New York in this election, nor Michigan electing Granholm either time as governor - when she was elected in 2000, the state had surplus which means the state shoulda stuck with Republicans and in 2004 the state was in deep trouble (and the Rep's ran a conservative west michigan businessman against her) which means she should have lost. Furthermore, you want to generalize about minority participation to secure victories for Dems in three of the most concentrated minority cities in the US...? Second, I'm guess at this point neither one of us knows what determined turn-out in those cities, whether it was more or less than in 2006, etc.

^^^^^^^^

CB: The 2010 gubernatorial election in Michigan found the Democrat running very left - announcing he would put a moratorium on foreclosures, take money out of banks that didn't participate in the mortgage relief program, lots of rhetoric like an old liberal Democrat . The Dem lost in a landslide. The Republicans won in all top offices and majority in both houses of the legislature. This is some empirical evidence that the electorate was not voting against Dems because Obama didn't ( somehow; who knows how) "force" the Congress to carryout a big Keynesian stimulus and a whole left program.

Of course a civilian Keynesian social spending program would be the best for the working class. But that doesn't mean that we are in a political ear when that is a winnable and popular action. That's the main thing that you and Marv ignore. The political reality of this concrete situation. It _should_ be popular with masses of the working class, but it is in fact not. Your blaming Obama for not achieving it is therefore not sensible.

^^^^^^^