[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 07:57:23 PST 2010

On 2010-11-08, at 8:04 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Marv: "only last month you were puzzled and dismayed that the Obama
> administration wasn't "bashing" its enemies on the right,"
>
> [WS:] Yes, indeed, and I am still puzzled by it. However, I do not assume
> that these are stupid or treacherous, evil people - as some on the more
> loony fringes on the American right and left claim. On the contrary, I
> assume - unless proven (by facts, not opinions and interpretations)
> otherwise - that these people knew what they were doing and if they did
> something that baffles me, they probably had a reason for it that is not
> apparent to me at the moment. While of course none of us knows for sure, I
> think that my conjecture of O's administration pursuing what they saw as a
> realistic course of action and settling for what they saw as achievable
> under the circumstances is far more rational than gutter populist
> attributions of stupidity, treachery or ill intentions that the loony
> American government haters love to circulate.

This is largely true, although some people would disagree that you should abstain from passing moral judgement on your political opponents and enemies if their personal failings are egregious and apparent. Still, I agree venomous attacks tend to impair the credibility of the speaker or writer and detract from rather than advance political clarity.

However, leaders should still expect to be held accountable for miscalculating what is "realistic" and what is not in the circumstances, and for the consequences of such miscalulation. In my view, the administration mistakenly tried to split the Republican party and expand its foothold in traditionally Republican states by wooing Republican moderates and blue dog Democrats with policy choices palatable to them. This was incompatible with bolder measures required to resolve the jobs, housing, health, environmental, and foreign policy crises which its Democratic and independent supporters, whose support the administration (again, mistakenly) took for granted, were expecting, and whose consequent alienation contributed to a right-wing Republican revival.

Class considerations are also absent from your analysis. The Democratic leadership mainly comes from a more affluent bourgeois stratum of the population than its working class base and has class-based collegial ties to the Republicans across the aisle and to Wall Street and other corporate lobbies. It's naive to assume therefore that their actions would be wholly reasonable and disinterested. Many of assumed the opposite: that contradictions would quickly appear between the bourgeois Democratic leadership tilting one way and its expectant working class base tilting the other following the election. That was and always is a good starting point for understanding the nature of the DP and social democratic parties based on the trade unions, minorities, and liberal intelligensia. These contradictions did surface, but there was not an organized left as there was in the 30's to lead the base in exerting any significant pressure on the leadership. In retrospect, that was my miscalculation.