[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 8 16:58:20 PST 2010

Somebody: All that's been demonstrated is that people on the left (and across the political spectrum) will adhere tenaciously to their point of view regardless of the evidence and that debates like this thread change precious few minds.

Correct. This applies to any kind of discussion. Minds are not changed by persuasion but by changed circumstances. Search the archives for the subject Dust-up. A long debate between (primarily) Miles and Julio.

This is also the reason that in political agitation one speaks/writes only to those who already agree on some significant point. Those attracted by that means then become involved in collective practice, and their thoughts (and agreements) develop further out of that practice.

(Note: I don't give a damn how one gets people to vote. I'm talking about mass movements of the left.)

Carrol