[lbo-talk] any irish lbo-talkers out there?

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 00:25:36 PST 2010

On 9 November 2010 07:22, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that Ireland, like most of the peripheral countries, has no
> real way out except to exit the euro. (I read yesterday's article by
> whassisname, Morgan Kelley, your Dr. Doom?) If Ireland had the possibility
> of running its own monetary policy and devaluing, there would be more space
> for even center-left parties to challenge austerity. Does one hear any
> murmurs about this on the left, or is it still a great taboo?

Yeah, you actually hear more about it from some of the celebrity economists like Kelly who certainly wouldn't have ever been considered leftists. David McWilliams is another one.

I wouldn't say it's a "taboo" on the left, but it's really only the far far left who seem to be really calling for it. The more social democraticky left - the trade union and NGO leadership types - are still pretty Europhilic in all matters generally. In between, there's a view that the Eurozone is going to collapse ultimately anyway, when France and Germany begin to see it as a drag on their own economies, which may well be sooner rather than later the way things are going.