[lbo-talk] KPFA morning show, and staff, canned

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:43:13 PST 2010

Joanna: "But isn't this the NGO/non-profit wet dream? Let the idealists work for free, while we (the admins) pocket the guilt donations"

[WS:] How many nonprofits do you know? Most of them are supported by sales and government contracts (check out this site for their revenue structure http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/charitablestats/article/0,,id=97176,00.html#2 They are basically businesses exempt form income tax. Going after donors and dealing with volunteers creates more problmes for management - so the management relies them only if they absolutely have to, except for churches and affiliated organizations. Nonprofits need some minimum amount to meet the "public support" criterion required for their tax exempt status, but they often use government contracts for that purpose. Likwise, most volunteering and philanthropic giving in this country goes to religion and also school- and recreation related programs (e.g. parents helping organize activities for thier children.)

Wojtek