[lbo-talk] contrasts at the liberal weeklies

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 9 12:37:59 PST 2010

<http://www.thenation.com/blog/155934/nancy-pelosi-minority-leader>

Nancy Pelosi for Minority Leader Katrina vanden Heuvel

I like fighters. I especially like intelligent, women fighters and Nancy Pelosi certainly fits that bill. The savvy, gutsy House speaker has announced her intention to run for Minority Leader in the next Congress, and I hope the Dems get their act together and elect her.

Pelosi knew exactly what she wanted to accomplish as speaker and she laid that agenda out clearly when I interviewed her in July 2008. Her three priority pieces of legislation—"Jobs, healthcare and energy."

And that's just what a politically diverse House Democratic caucus pulled off under her progressive leadership.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/business/media/08nation.html>

> Other than perhaps the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee, there were few places as despondent on election night as the Manhattan offices of The Nation, the 146-year-old journal of fiery leftist opinion.
>
> A group of about 15 writers, editors and interns sat around a conference table and watched the results as they drowned their sorrows in bottles of Trader Joe’s red wine.

> “If you can’t expose the hypocrisy of this new group of Republicans, then we’re not doing our job. And I mean that,” she said in an interview from her office on election night as she sipped a glass of Champagne, defiant as Democratic losses piled up and the mood around her darkened.

I presume the cap-C on "Champagne" meant the actual French stuff, and not just some generic bubbly. Not much confusion of appellations on the Trader Joe's, though.

Doug