[lbo-talk] Open letters from Stefano Kourkoulakos and Leo Panitch

D. T. Cochrane dtc at yorku.ca
Tue Nov 9 14:51:18 PST 2010

Hi Mike, Thank you for your respectful and substantive response. More below.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Mike Beggs <mikejbeggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM, D. T. Cochrane <dtc at yorku.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi D. T.,
>
> Thanks for this - there's a lot I agree with in the perspective you
> put forward. But I think that all three of the major 'three
> rejections' you mention would get fairly wide support in the melange
> of post-Keynesianism, Marxism and institutionalism that makes up
> heterodox economics today. I understand the urge to go back to first
> principles and at some point anyone who wants to go beyond eclecticism
> has to do that for themselves or align with someone who has. My only
> concerns are that there's no point in building more unnecessary walls
> in an already balkanised, marginal field, and also no need to reinvent
> wheels and call them something different. Following from that, it's
> maybe more interesting to turn this into a discussion of the
> substantive issues - where there is quite a bit of common ground.

As eclecticism has, as you say, left the field of radical political economy 'balkanised' and 'marginal,' we may be ripe for a different approach. A new school of thought that draws on the history of radical political economy - a reason I've told Professor Nitzan that I do not like the ctrl-alt-del metaphor - but which approaches fundamental questions in a new way might be a better strategic approach. Beyond that, perhaps subordinating critical inquiry to strategy is one reason heterodoxy is in the state it is.

One of the things I most appreciate about the 'capital as power' (CasP) approach is that it is thoroughly empirical with a renewed emphasis on quantitative analysis. By returning to fundamental issues, such as the concept of value, N&B not only engage with the observable quantities of capitalism, they give it renewed meaning. Without a value concept, it is unclear what exactly we're talking about. This can also lead us to make use of problematic concepts without properly understanding the problems they create. For example, among those radical political economists that still engage in quantitative research, many make use of the concept of 'real GDP,' without questioning exactly what 'real GDP' measures.

I think your responses below are interesting and rich with details. I also think they tend to add to the claims that N&B make and none seem to undermine their radical, subjectivist conception of value or the research programme it motivates.

Thanks again, D.T. Cochrane