[lbo-talk] Tea Party: less than meets the eye

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:22:12 PST 2010

On 2010-11-09, at 3:32 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Charles: "General strikes: {list}"
>
> [WS:] Any data on economic significance of these strikes? The list is long,
> but these events strike me as rather marginal vis a vis the scale of global
> capitalist economy...
>
> It is not to argue that the struggle against capital is over. It is to
> argue that the struggle against capital as it was fought in the 19th or 20th
> century is over.

To be sure, the struggle against capital as it was fought in the US as late as the decade of the 70s is over.

In 1970, there were 381 major strikes involving nearly 2.5 million workers. Last year there were a paltry five strikes involving 13,000 employees.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/wkstp.t01.htm