[lbo-talk] Debt Commission Targets Social Security, Medicare

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:09:57 PST 2010

Doug Henwood

This thing's DOA. Too much to hate for too many people. ======

Probably -- but is that the point. The "strategy" (quotes to deny any mind-reading on my part) since 1975 has been to more and more acculturate the populace to accept permanent "austerity" -- i.e. the good times are over _forever_. Reagan attacked "Welfare Queens" but it wasn't until Clinton that the 'task' was ever accomplished. Granted, Social Security is a bigger target & affects more people, but that only means it has to be messed with at the margins over a couple Administrations before it is mortally wounded.

Carter gave the slogan for the whole process: "The World is not fair." Some higher level of "normal" unemployment will probably be the result of "recovery" from the current slump. So far teachers seem to be accepting the attack on their living standards and job security.

What evidence is there that the general public will _ever_ 'recover' the living standards of 1950-1970? And what grounds are there (other than a blind faith in a metaphysical "working class" that people can fight back for higher standards?

I doubt that we have seen capitalism at anywheres near its "worst" yet.

Carrol