[lbo-talk] Why Obama doesn't suck

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 16:43:19 PST 2010

On 11/10/2010 7:23 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

>> Is it "more important for political leaders to compromise in order to get things done" or "more important for political leaders to stick to their beliefs even if little gets done"?
>>
>> Compromise/Stick to beliefs
>>
>> Democrats: 59/18
>> Republicans: 32/41
>
> Other polls have also found the Democrats in favour of apple pie, motherhood, and Sunday night football.

Oh, give me a damn break, Marv. If compromise is motherhood and apple pie, why are the Republicans in this poll opposed to it? You should read to the end of things.

> But on the immediate, less otherwordly, issue at hand - Bush tax cuts for the rich - two of three Democrats are opposed to their extension.

Yes, but they're always open to compromise!

> But such bourgeois leadership is precisely what is lacking at the top of the Democratic party at this critical juncture - and if the majority of activists are, like Charles and SA, susceptible to its uncompromising attachment to "compromise"

What are you talking about? Charles is defending Obama, I'm not.

I said Obama is doing what his base wants. His "suckiness" is an epiphenomenon of the absence of pressure on him not to suck. And that absence of pressure comes from the absence of a real constituency for applying pressure.

SA