[lbo-talk] The Democrats and the Bush tax cuts

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 21:52:23 PST 2010

But this isn't fair either. There have been many intelligent and critical discussions of the TPers here. The discussion in these last three threads has been on whether the prevailing representation of the US as an inherently center-right country is accurate or not. Folks, I think like you, who stress the dominant role of the TP/Far Right tend to emphasize the right. Folks like Marv and I, who see the TP as a pretty seriousl nightmare argue that, while it is sure that any reasonably consistent Democrat was going to drive the right wing right up a tree, the intensity of the right, much of the character of its coverage and a good portion of the swing of moderates/independents rightward comes from the failure of the Obama administration to fight back. In any event, I don't see how its necessary to hone a critique of the TPers - they are a melding of hyper-libertarians, hyper-xenophobes with hyper-inaccurate readings of the Bible, science and just about everything else.

On the one hand, criticizing them is like shooting fish in a barrell. On the other hand, criticizing them only intensifies the motivation of their grass roots... which would be fine if it were a calm, cool, and devastating de(con)struction of the contradictions of their positions. I do it all the time in my classes... I feel no need to do it here.