[lbo-talk] Chamberlain at Munich (was Re: Why Obama doesn't suck)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 11 09:47:15 PST 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Wojtek S wrote:
> ... Chamberlain"appeased" Hitler by handing him Czechoslovakia.
> That only emboldened the Germans, who put forth new demands (the
> "corridor") and eventually started the war. From the
> hindsight, it is easy to blame Chamberlain for not seeing it
> coming. But I
> am not sure if the counterfactual (standing ground on
> Czechoslovakia) would
> have produced different results, and if so, what those results would
> have
> been. Perhaps WW2 would have started in 1938 rather than in 1939
> and run
> its course as it did, or perhaps it would have not started at all
> and the
> Nazi regime would have stayed in power as long as those of Franco and
> Salazar. Who knows?

This is to ignore the history of the "Oster conspiracy." The British cabinet were well informed not only that the Wehrmacht High Command was opposed to Hitler's crazy plan to invade Czechoslovakia (with the Sudeten fortifications the Czechoslovak army would in itself have been a formidable opponent) but were prepared finally to act to overthrow Hitler the moment he ordered war. Chamberlain's problem was that Hitler by his repeated public pronouncements had left himself no political room to back down. So the choice was not war or capitulation--it was upheaval in Germany with the threat of another 1919, or capitulation. The national interest said stop Hitler, but class interest said keep him in power at all costs. The choice was a no-brainer.