[lbo-talk] Chamberlain at Munich (was Re: Why Obama doesn't suck)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 11 13:16:45 PST 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 2:43 PM, michael perelman wrote:

> Louw's Pax Americana, tells a different story. Chamberlain saw
> England as having a greater threat than Germany: United States, which
> had been for decades angling for decolonization in order to gain more
> trade access to the colonies, seemed like a greater threat at the
> time.

I doubt he found any British documentation for that thesis. In any event, Chamberlain immediately after declaring "Peace in our Time" ordered a great acceleration in British war preparations with the greatest emphasis on Spitfires--defensive aircraft that would be useless in a war with the US but were vital to the coming war with Germany.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64