[lbo-talk] Imperial Chickens Come Home to Roost

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 11:02:29 PST 2010

CG wrote:

>Wow, we've got some seriously sick elites running the show.

Yes. This is a job for Dante.

>The sixties changed that. Pop art, minimalist art, and a host of
>other developments caught the critics off guard, and for a decade or
>more the artists filled the critics' role

And did an awful job of it. I can't think of many contemporary artists who speak about their work in a way that communicates anything captivating. It basically comes down to "everything I have to say is in the work." A flatfooted truth, but not very enlightening. And it's not an impossible task. Mark Tansey does it very well.

>I saw Warhol's first big show (Campbell's Soup Cans) in LA in the
>early 60s. Well, it was a knock out. But, even so. Was that supposed
>to be satire?

Warhol's work is one thing, but I think an equally important contribution from him was queering up the art world. He couldn't hang at the Cedar Tavern with Pollock and the rest getting into fistfights. And thank goodness for that.