[lbo-talk] Imperial Chickens Come Home to Roost

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Nov 12 17:32:43 PST 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 4:18 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> And the million dollar question for me is why the hatred/destruction
> of narrative?
>
> I saw it played out in dance....to horrible effect.
>
> Joanna

But what has narrative to do with Painting? Any figurative painting is atemporal, a frozen moment. What narrative is there in "The Garden of Earthly Delights?" You can supply any narrative you want, sometimes (seldom) even an extraneous narrative that the painter had reference to. But you can also with a little imagination supply a kaleidoscopic movement to a Jackson Pollack. But in the first case the narrative is literary, in the second visual. And it is the second that is painterly, not the first.

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol