[lbo-talk] NYC's new school's chief: "no education babble"!

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 22:57:46 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> [no, instead corporate babble!]
>
> <http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/black_fearless_straight_shooter_uW94Yn3sbt8Xvuyr21x0cN#ixzz156GufAPy>
>
> Black a 'fearless' straight-shooter: friends
> By CHUCK BENNETT
> Last Updated: 10:09 AM, November 11, 2010
>
> There'll be no education babble coming from the city's new schools chief.

This was in the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday, by the way - this guy Kevin Donnelly has been chief conservative education attack dog in Murdoch's Australian; now apparently Diane Ravitch has changed his mind:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/new-york-schools-have-failed-the-test-20101111-17pc3.html

New York schools have failed the test

Australia's approach to testing students and holding schools and teachers accountable has been copied from New York. The head of schools there, Joel Klein, has just announced his resignation, and an evaluation of the success or otherwise of the New York experience suggests we may be copying his mistakes.

Julia Gillard, when she was education minister, touted New York's system of teacher and school accountability as the world's best. She used the US example to justify Australia-wide testing in literacy and numeracy at years 3, 5, 7 and 9 and making school results public on the My School website. In 2008 Gillard met Klein in New York and was so impressed with his policies that she invited him to Australia to show his approach of publicly ranking schools and penalising the underperformers.

[...]

As someone who has been a vocal advocate of testing and accountability, I might expect criticism for doing an about-face. But as John Maynard Keynes said, "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"