[lbo-talk] Harvey on Marx

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Nov 15 02:49:38 PST 2010

I am reposting this so it gets into this week.

Here is a link to the whole Harvey course on Marx at CUNY. Start here:

http://vimeo.com/13535463

Unfortunately my copy is 3rd edition and a different translation, so the location, wording and page numbering are different. The good neww is while Harvey is on page 170 something in lecture 2 I am following it on page 56.

I really couldn't follow Marx any other way. I had to absorb the ideas by some osmositic process. Harvey's diagrams really help with understanding the various dualistic oppositions that Marx puts up. Then these diagrams also help explain the dialectical processes between the oppositions and reciprocal relations that produce the next concept in a chain.

use value

/ \ commodity value (socially necessary -->

\ / labor time)

exchange value

Labor time splits to concrete labor which is heterogeneous and abstract labor which is homogeneous, which together combine to make exchange possible, the next link. Exchange splits to relative and equivalent, which combine in dialectic to make the money commodity, the universal equivalent, the last link.

The example he uses to illustration this dialectic was that Russia and South Africa represent the relativity of political control of who produces the equivalent gold, when gold was still the universal equivalent.

This general sketch gives you some idea of how much detail and close reading Harvey gets into.

The end of lecture 2 moves on the discussion of fetishism

CG